Introduction to our Fellowship Program
Our Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) Fellowship Program combines the resources of: 1) the Detroit Medical Center, the largest medical facility in Michigan; 2) the dynamic research and teaching expertise of faculty at Wayne State University School of Medicine; and 3) the Perinatology Research Branch of NICHD / NIH. Ours is the only MFM Fellowship Program affiliated with the NICHD / NIH.
Fellowship Goals and Objectives:
- Train physicians to provide specialized patient care in Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Prepare candidates for a career in academic medicine as physician-scientists
The Fellowship Program is housed at the Detroit Medical Center and Wayne State University campus in Detroit, Michigan, where the Perinatology Research Branch is located. The Program is approved by the ACGME for seven positions.
A combined Maternal-Fetal Medicine / Medical Genetics and Genomics Fellowship is also available. Candidates may also opt to complete a PhD degree, which is based in the Department of Physiology at Wayne State University.
Mission of the Fellowship Program
Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) subspecialists are obstetricians/gynecologists who, by virtue of additional education, cares for and/or provides consultation on women with complications of pregnancy and are expected to:
- Have advanced knowledge of obstetrical, medical, and surgical complications of pregnancy and their effects on the mother and fetus
- Be skilled in the areas of prenatal ultrasound and prenatal diagnosis
- Have clinical competency in MFM and be able to function as a consultant to obstetricians/gynecologists for women with complicated pregnancies
- Have advanced knowledge of newborn adaptation
- Be able to function effectively in the arenas of basic and clinical research in MFM to advance the discipline and remain current in a rapidly changing field
At the completion of Fellowship training, the Fellow should be:
- Capable of managing complex maternal-fetal health care problems, scientific inquiry, and critical evaluation of the literature
- Able to function as a consultant to obstetricians and other medical specialists