While there is no doubt that our work is tremendously engaging, even we need to live a life outside of our offices! Fortunately, the metropolitan Detroit area offers some of the most relaxing and stimulating activities and events to be found anywhere in the United States. For many, the greatness of Detroit is a well-kept secret. But we’re willing to let you in on it right now if you promise not to tell anyone!
The Detroit Metropolitan area is rich in culture, including the arts, music and sports. For example:
- The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA): The DIA is the fifth largest fine art museum in the country and is located three blocks from the offices of the fellows.
- Greenfield Village / The Henry Ford: Greenfield Village is the largest open air museum in the country devoted to discovery and invention
- Cranbrook Institute of Science: An internationally renowned center for art, education and science, located in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
- Detroit Science Center: devoted to discovering the wonders of science and technology and the home of Michigan’s only IMAX Dome theatre
- The Opera House: Home of the Michigan Opera Theatre and host of a wide range of concerts and performances
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra / Orchestra Hall: A leader in the world of classical music, embracing and inspiring individuals, families and communities through unsurpassed musical experiences.
- The Fox Theatre, Fisher Theatre and Masonic Temple Theatre: three of the prominent venues for national and local tours of plays, musicals and concert events.
- Other popular events: Annual Detroit International Jazz Festival in September, Annual Detroit Electronic Music Festival in May/June, Annual North American International Auto Show in June
Detroit is renown for its legendary sports teams and the beautiful venues in which they play.