- Chief, Perinatology Research Branch
Deputy Clinical Director for Obstetrics and Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Division of Intramural Research, NICHD/NIH/DHHS
- Professor of Molecular Obstetrics and Genetics
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics
Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Professor – Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
University of Michigan
- Professor – Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Michigan State University
- Editor-in-Chief for Obstetrics, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Bachelor of Science
San Vicente de Paul
- Physician and Surgeon Degree (equivalent to M.D. in the U.S.)
- Doctor of Medical Science
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Fellow, Gynecologic Oncology
- Research Fellow, Physiology of the Cervix during Parturition
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship
Yale University / Yale New Haven Hospital
- Co-author of more than 1,200 peer-reviewed publications
- Author of books: Obstetrical Ultrasound and Perinatal Diagnosis of Congenital Anomalies
- Editor of books: The Principles and Practice of Ultrasonography in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Preterm Labor
- Member of the National Academy of Medicine of the National Academies of the United States
- Honorary Fellow, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG)
- Fellow, International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics & Gynecology (ISUOG)
- Fellow, International Academy of Perinatal Medicine (IAPM)
- Immunobiology Physician-Scientist Award (K12 Award from NIH)
Yale University School of Medicine
- Elected Member of the Academy of Scholars at Wayne State University
- Associate Editor: The Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine and The Journal of Perinatal Medicine
- Recipient of 18 Honorary Doctorate degrees and Professorships from universities worldwide
- Former Editor: Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology
HONORARY DEGREES / AWARDS
- 2019 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Universidad Simón Bolívar, Barranquilla, Colombia
- 2019 Doctorate Honoris Causa, University of Salamanca, Salamanca, Spain
- 2019 Doctorate Honoris Causa, University of Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2019 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay
- 2017 Honorary Professor, Universidad Espiritu Santo, Guayaquil, Ecuador
- 2016 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- 2013 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Universidad Autonoma de Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- 2013 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Sanitas University, Bogota, Colombia
- 2013 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Ott Scientific Research University of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Saint Petersburg, Russia
- 2012 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain
- 2011 Honorary Professor, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2011 Honorary Professor, Russia State Medical University, Moscow, Russia
- 2009 Doctorate Honoris Causa, University of Athens, Greece
- 2007 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
- 2007 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Universidad del Zulia, Maracaibo, Venezuela
- 2004 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad del Cusco, Cusco, Peru
- 2004 Doctorate Honoris Causa, National University of San Marcos, Lima, Perú
- 2004 Doctorate Honoris Causa, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile
- 2020 – National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD):
i. Merit Award
ii. Collaboration Award
iii. Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2018 – Jose Maria Dexeus Medal for Obstetrics
- 2016 – 9th Asan Award in Medicine
Seoul, South Korea
- 2016 – SRI Distinguished Scientist Award
Society for Reproductive Investigation 63rd Annual Meeting
- 2015 – Presidential Lifetime Achievement Award
12th World Congress of Perinatal Medicine
- 2015 – International Pasquale Sfameni Prize
- 2015 – Singapore Gold Medal Award
Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists World Congress
- 2012 – Maternité Prize in Obstetrics
European Congress of Perinatal Medicine XXIII Annual Meeting
- 2004 – Ian Donald Gold Medal
International Society for Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- 2003 – Erich Saling Prize
World Association of Perinatal Medicine
GOOGLE SCHOLAR PROFILE
- Early diagnosis and treatment of ectopic pregnancy
- The discriminatory hCG zone
- Serial hCG determinations
- Ultrasound assessment of the pelvis
- Laparoscopic treatment of ectopic pregnancy
- Prenatal diagnosis of congenital anomalies with ultrasound
- STIC for the diagnosis of congenital heart disease
- Functional evaluation of the fetal heart
- Longitudinal studies of fetal growth
- Three-dimensional and four-dimensional ultrasound
- Invasive procedures for prenatal diagnosis (amniocentesis, cordocentesis, endoscopy, and fetal endoscopic surgery)
- Subclinical intrauterine infection in preterm labor and preterm PROM
- Role of cytokines and chemokines in spontaneous labor at term and infection-inducted preterm labor
- The fetal inflammatory response syndrome (FIRS)
- The role of the human fetus in the onset of preterm labor
- Fetal systemic inflammation as a cause of cerebral palsy and chronic lung disease
- Development of novel methods for the rapid diagnosis of intrauterine infection/inflammation
- Treatment of intrauterine infection and intrauterine inflammation
- High-dimensional biology (genomics, proteomics, metabolomics) to understand perinatal disease
- The role of progesterone in the prevention of preterm birth
- Pique-Regi R, Romero R, Tarca AL, Luca F, Xu Y, Alazizi A, Leng Y, Hsu CD, Gomez-Lopez N. Does the human placenta express the canonical cell entry mediators for SARS-CoV-2? eLife. 2020 Jul 14; 9:e58716. doi: 10.7554/eLife.58716
- Romero R. Giants in Obstetrics and Gynecology Series: a profile of Stuart Campbell, DSc, FRCPEd, FRCOG, FACOG. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Aug; 232:152-166.
- Gomez-Lopez N, Arenas-Hernandez M, Romero R, Miller D, Garcia-Flores V, Leng Y, Xu Y, Galaz J, Hassan SS, Hsu CD, Tse H, Sanchez-Torres C, Done B, Tarca AL. Regulatory T cells play a role in a subset of idiopathic preterm labor/birth and adverse neonatal outcomes. Cell Reports. 2020 Jul; 32:107874. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2020.107874.
- Kacerovsky M, Romero R, Stepan M, Stranik J, Maly J, Pliskova L, Bolehovska R, Palicka V, Zemlickova H, Hornychova H, Spacek J, Jacobsson B, Pacora P, Musilova I. Antibiotic administration reduces the rate of intraamniotic inflammation in preterm prelabor rupture of the membranes. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Jul; 223:114.e1-114.e20. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2020.01.043.
- Theis KR, Romero R, Winters AD, Jobe AH, Gomez-Lopez N. Lack of Evidence for microbiota in the placenta and fetal tissues of Rhesus macaques. mSphere 2020; 6;5(3). doi: 10.1128/mSphere.00210-20.
- Jaiman S, Romero R, Pacora P, Jung E, Bhatti G, Yeo L, Kim YM, Kim B, Kim CJ, Kim JS, Qureshi F, Jacques SM, Erez O, Gomez-Lopez N, Hsu CD. Disorders of placental villous maturation in fetal death. J Perinat Med. 2020 Apr 1. Online ahead of print. doi: 10.1515/jpm-2020-0030.
- Oh KJ, Lee JH, Romero R, Park HS, Joon-Seok H, Yoon BH. A new rapid bedside test to diagnose and monitor intra-amniotic inflammation in preterm PROM using transcervically collected fluid. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Feb 27; S0002-9378(20)30225-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2020.02.037. [Epub ahead of print]
- Garcia-Flores V, Romero R, Furcron AE, Levenson D, Galaz J, Zou C, Hassan SS, Hsu CD, Olson D, Metz G, Gomez-Lopez N. Prenatal maternal stress causes preterm birth and affects neonatal adaptive immunity in mice. Front Immunol. 2020 Feb 26; 11(254). doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2020.00254.
- Bhatti G, Romero R, Cherukuri K, Gudicha DW, Kavdia M, Yeo L, Tarca AL. Fetal Growth Percentile Software: a tool to calculate estimated fetal weight percentiles for six standards. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020 Feb 14; 222(6):625-628. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2020.02.006.
- Burnham P, Gomez-Lopez N, Heyang M, Cheng AP, Lenz JS, Dadhania DM, Lee JR, Suthanthiran M, Romero R, De Vlaminck I. Separating the signal from the noise in metagenomic cell-free DNA sequencing. Microbiome. 2020 Feb 11;8(1):18. doi: 10.1186/s40168-020-0793-4.
- Conde-Agudelo A, Romero R, Nicolaides K. Cervical pessary to prevent preterm birth in asymptomatic high-risk women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. Feb 2020; 223(1):42-65.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2019.12.266.
- Stafford I, Moaddab A, Dildy G, Klassen M, Berra A, Watters C, Belfort M, Romero R, Clark S. Amniotic fluid embolism syndrome: Analysis of the United States International Registry. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.ajogmf.2019.100083. [Epub ahead of print]
- Bhatti G, Romero R, Rice GE, Fitzgerald W, Pacora P, Gomez-Lopez N, Kavdia M, Tarca AL, Margolis L. Compartmentalized Profiling of Amniotic Fluid Cytokines in Women With Preterm Labor. PLoS One. Jan 16, 2020;15 (1), e0227881. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0227881.
- Gomez-Lopez N, Motomura K, Miller D, Garcia-Flores V, Galaz J, Romero R. Inflammasomes: Their Role in Normal and Complicated Pregnancies. J Immunol. 2019 Dec 1;203(11):2757-2769. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1900901.
- Romero R. Giants in Obstetrics and Gynecology Series: A profile of James Roberts. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;220(6):527-536.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2019.04.004.
- Romero R. Giants in Obstetrics and Gynecology Series: A profile of Christopher Redman. Am J Obstet Gynceol 2019;220(5):420-427.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2019.03.020.
- Romero R. Giants in Obstetrics and Gynecology Series: A profile of Judith Vaitukaitis, MD, who made possible the early detection of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;220(1):40-44.
- Cervical Insufficiency and Cerclage. Latin-American Virtual Congress for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. University of Los Andes, Chile. July 4, 2020.
- Fetal Intelligent Navigation Echocardiography (FINE): Intersection between Ultrasound and Artificial Intelligence In the Evaluating Fetal Heart (webcast). International Symposium on The Fetal and Neonatal Heart: Implications for Adult Life. St. Petersburg, Russia. June 29-30, 2020.
- COVID-19 and Pregnancy. Igenomix Foundation Webinar: COVID-19 in Reproductive Medicine. May 28, 2020.
- Progestogens for the Prevention of Preterm Birth – What is New in the Literature? 6th Birth Congress Webinar Series: The Prevention of Preterm Birth. May 16, 2020.
- What Progestogen for what Indication to Prevent Preterm Birth? 40th Annual Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine Meeting. Grapevine, TX. February 3-6, 2020.
- Prediction and Prevention of Spontaneous Preterm Delivery in Twin Gestation. 40th Annual Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine Meeting. Grapevine, TX. February 3-6, 2020.
- Vaginal Progesterone for Patients with a Sonographic Short Cervix: Singletons and Twins. PREIS School International Symposium on Critical Obstetrics. Buenos Aires, Argentina. December 9-10, 2019.
- The “Great Obstetrical Syndromes”: Thoughts on the Unique Nature of Obstetrical Disease. PREIS School International Symposium on Critical Obstetrics. Buenos Aires, Argentina. December 9-10, 2019.
- Prevención de Parálisis Cerebral: una Frontera en el Siglo XXI. Doctorate Honoris Causa, University of Buenos Aires. Buenos Aires, Argentina. December 9, 2019.
- Can Intra-Amniotic Infection be Treated in Preterm Labor, PROM, and Cervical Insufficiency? Wayne Day 2019: Infectious Diseases in Pregnancy. Detroit, MI