Assistant Professor (Research)
Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Education & Training
- B.B.S, Grant Medical College, University of Mumbai, India (2001)
- Residency, Clinical Microbiology, Grant Medical College, Sir JJ Group of Hospitals, Mumbai, India (2004)
- D., Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA (2010)
- Post-doctoral Fellow, Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI (2014)
- Discovery of a novel mechanism of transcriptional activation by Epstein-Barr Nuclear Antigen 1.
- Characterization of a novel HIF-independent oxygen responsive element activated under conditions of moderate experimental hypoxia.
- Characterization of a novel cellular stress responsive protein, MNRR1 (Mitochondrial-Nuclear Retrograde Regulator 1).
- Mitochondrial disease
- Host cell bioenergetic regulation in response to inflammation
- Role of mitochondria in neurodegeneration and cancer
- Aras S, Maroun MC, Song Y, Bandyopadhyay S, Stark A, Yang ZQ, Long MP, Grossman LI, Fernández-Madrid F. Mitochondrial autoimmunity and MNRR1 in breast carcinogenesis. BMC Cancer. 2019 May 2; 19:411. PMID: 31046734
- Aras S, Bai M, Lee I, Springett R, Hüttemann M, Grossman LI. MNRR1 (formerly CHCHD2) is a bi- organellar regulator of mitochondrial metabolism. Mitochondrion. 2015 Jan; 20:43-51. PMID: 25315652
- Aras S, Singh G, Johnston K, Foster T, Aiyar A. Zinc coordination is required for and regulates transcription activation by Epstein-Barr nuclear antigen 1. PLoS Pathog. 2009 Jun; 5:e1000469. PMID: 19521517
- Special topics in cancer metabolism (CB7300/7240) – Cancer Bioenergetics